There are a lot of people who restrict their goals to a certain age. I too have fallen victim to this. I believed I had to achieve everything I wanted before 25 else it would be meaningless. Now that I am approaching that age, I realise learning is a lifelong process and life wouldn’t be what it is if we didn’t have any goals left. I have now extended the deadline for my goals to be until the end of my life. By the end of my existence I would like to be able to say I achieved these 10 categories of things:
- Become a Licenced Therapist: My ultimate career goal has always been to become a therapist or a counsellor. I have achieved my degree in psychology but have struggled to get a job in the role I want thus far – a lot of it is due to my introversion and social anxiety. I want to work on myself before I ever treat anyone else. I one day hope to be able to do that.
- Make an Income Through ThePsychTalk: Since I have been unable to use my degree to become a therapist, I’d like to use it to write. I hope to one day create an income I can survive off of through my psychology blog. It gives me a purpose, a way to help and inform people when otherwise I would be unable to do this.
- Publish a Book: Writing has always been a curiosity of mine but I have not made a serious attempt to put my imagination down on paper (or Microsoft Word to be more accurate). I have always created worlds and stories in my head and I hope to find the motivation to put one of these in writing someday so that I can share my mind with others. In fact, I’d like to publish multiple books – but if one is all I manage in my lifetime I will be more than grateful. I first have to learn the ins and outs of grammar as you can probably tell by the quality of writing on this blog. 😉
- Learn Software Development: I see myself as a creator and code as another medium to make things with. I would love to be able to build things on my computer some day. I may not ever build anything outstanding and revolutionary but I’m sure there will be some personal satisfaction in seeing an idea I have come to life.
- Learn to Paint Well & Sell My Own Artwork: Art is my first love. I wouldn’t say I am the most talented at drawing and painting but I truly enjoy it. It is the only hobby I have ever had that puts me in a “flow” state. I would like to be able to paint well enough to have someone think my work was worth buying. Even if that was not possible, I would relish in the fact that I have created things that can outlast me. Thanks to the internet, they could potentially last forever.
- Run in a 10k Race: It is no secret that exercise is essential for a healthy body. There is evidence that aerobic exercise has the same effect on the brain as taking antidepressants. Exercise also helps keep the body and mind in good shape when we reach old age. I’d like to regularly participate in 10k races so that I can reap these benefits. I’m sure there will be times in my life where I fall off this course but for the most part, I would like to maintain this hobby.
- Learn the Piano & Violin to Grade 5 Standard: It would be amazing to be able to play the two most beautiful instruments. I would be content with being able to play them to grade 5 standards. The main reason for this is actually to keep my brain in good condition as learning new instruments improves cognition. However, being able to impress with this skill is certainly a bonus.
- Learn 3 Foreign Languages (German, French & Spanish): The reason for this is the same as the reason for learning instruments but of course, this skill will come in handy if I am ever in countries where these languages are spoken.
- Learn to Cook/Bake 30 Recipes Perfectly: Food is one of life’s greatest joys. I would love to be able to make myself exquisite meals so that I can keep eating out to a minimum. Plus, there is no greater feeling than seeing people’s eyes light up and their mouths watering at a well-made meal.
- Read Great Books, Watch Great Films, Play Great Games: All great creations are inspired by other great creations. This is why I think consumption is important. I want to get to experience the best of human imagination while I am alive. Life without art would be quite a bland existence.
Like I said, I have no set time to achieve these goals. I will just be continuously working towards them until the end of my life and I will post my journey on this blog. My goals may change, which is okay! Our desires and dreams always adapt to our circumstances. I think working towards these goals will provide satisfaction for me, I have tried to cover the main areas of life which I find important – career, education, exercise and art. I’d like to invite you all to consider your priorities, passions and curiosities in life and make goals in relation to those. Also, consider throwing out your age-restricted milestones. Just keep doing the next right thing until you achieve your goals. It doesn’t matter when you get there, the journey is what makes success enjoyable.